Berry picking, and buying, is in full swing here in Ohio. We have had strawberries in the store for a month or so, but they are nothing like the fresh locally grown ones you can buy right now.
There are so many wonderful things to do with strawberries. I like to keep a bowl cleaned, chopped and mixed with a tablespoon or so of sugar. We add them to yogurt or ice cream, drizzle them over angel food cake, or bake with them.
I have used the recipe below for years. I actually tore it out of a Martha Stewart magazine years ago. I really haven't changed it much. I always double the recipe, which will give you 24 nice size muffins.
Fresh Strawberry Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins
1 1/4 tbsp melted butter
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 1/4 cup strawberries, chopped (any fruit can be used)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter, or spray muffin tins.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl; whisk to combine.
3. In a medium bowl, combine butter, vanilla, sugar, milk, and egg. Fold butter mixture and fruit into flour mixture; don't over mix.
4. Spoon into muffin tins. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.
What yummy recipes do you whip up with strawberries, or any other berry? Leave a comment and let me know what wonderful smells are coming out of your kitchen.
For more baking ideas scroll my Pinterest Board:
Breads, Muffins, and Biscuits